Tale of a trade friendly shop owner

Saturday, October 9, 2010

I love the notion of bartering and have found it to be an ideal way to obtain a variety of things that I may have not otherwise been able to purchase. The act of trading goods or services, absent the exchange of money, is easier than you might think and could be a great way for you to save big this holiday season!

Assuming you have a skill set or product to trade...

The first step, to establishing an effective barter system, is to define your desires. Create a list of those items or services which you are in the market for. Then, spread the word. This can be done with ease via your blog, shop announcement or website. I have conducted many successful trades through Etsy and am always delighted when fellow shop owners contact me with their specific requests. Like the look of my blog? Its couture design is the result of a trade with the brilliant Shalon of papermepretty with whom I swapped a Ziptop Ultimate Diaper Bag for her graphic design services.

When someone contacts me with a trade request that I cannot fulfill, I politely let them know that I am currently not in the market for said product or service and that I will gladly add them to my list of shops willing to trade and be sure to contact them if a future need should arise. So, there is no harm in asking!

It is my policy to route personal trades through my Etsy shop. A simple process, I have the other party add the agreed upon items to their cart and select “other” as the form of payment. This allows me to have a record of the transaction and the benefit of receiving and leaving feedback while remaining in compliance with Etsy TOU’s.

What do you have to trade and what would you like to trade it for?

1 comment:

Handbags*and*Pigtails said...

I LOVE bartering too! Heck, if local grocery stores would barter food for bags Id do that too:) Just sayin... we only need money so we can get other things. if everyone bartered itd be great!
I like your idea of making a list and "putting it out there." Ive often thought about it but didnt know how to execute it. Thanks for the great idea!
Sarah

Post a Comment