Happy Birthday to me, not.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Two days ago, absent fanfare, cake or gifts---thanks to the children having the flu and a fall my husband took on some ice---I turned 39. If you promise to forgive me, I would like to take just a minute to throw a tiny pity party and then I will move quickly to my point.


Happy Birthday to me,

Happy birthday to me.

Happy birthday, dear Annnn---dreeee---aaaa.

Happy birthday to me!

Imagine…39 candles aglow atop a double Dutch chocolate cake. A bright flash, I smile for the photo op and with one waft blow those candles out, while making a single ~~~~wish~~~~.

(You know I can’t tell you what I wished for, or it won’t come true, so don’t ask.)

What I would like to say is that I’ve been giving a lot of thought to my turning 40 (a reality that is 363 short days away.) I recently reached out to friends, via Facebook, who have already crossed the threshold into what I have come to think of as “the second half of life”. Ever so kindly they offered up their reassurances that it really isn’t that bad. My favorite piece of guidance came from my friend Ilene, who wrote “Remember, the 40’s are totally about reinventing yourself, it will be so much fun!”

I am going to roll with that. Forty should be fun and I can think of no better time than now to take stalk of my life and set some goals for the future. This way, when the “day” does come and I enter into a new decade of life, I will do it with grace, poise and most importantly enthusiasm.

Just off the top of my head, there are a few things I’d like to do in the interim, such as become an Etsy Featured Seller and learn to needle felt. Let me give it some more thought and I will be back to post a top ten list of things I want to do before I turn 40.

All the best,

Andrea

1 comment:

Handbags*and*Pigtails said...

Awwwwwwwwww,,,,HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!Its not selfish of you to want to celebrate. Yes, we as moms sacrifice alot for our families. Its what we do. But we're also still PEOPLE who enjoy a special day just as much as anyone else. Heres a wish for a beautiful and peaceful year ahead.
Sarah

Post a Comment